Friday 15 February 2013

Tonto Dike’s litmus test


Her notoriety and popularity in the last 12 months cannot be matched by any other celebrity in Nigeria. Soaring Twitter following, frequent location call-up, and record-breaking music downloads for a new comer are all evidence of Tonto’s celebrity status.
However, her notoriety and popularity will be put to test come March 1, when she makes her cinema debut in the movie, My Life, My Damage. The movie will mark Tonto first cinematic debut. In cinema, success at the box office is determined by the commercial viability of the star in the movie.
Genevieve Nnnaji is the most bankable with totally gross revenue at the box-office at N83 million, Omotola and Funke Akindele made N60 million and N56 million respectively.
If My Life, My Damage crosses the N10 million marks, Tonto would be the first to combine notoriety and commercial viability. If you think, it’s a mean feat, ask Cossy Orjiakor or Saint Janet.

‘Everything is in the hands of God. I didn’t plan that my music will have over 3 million downloads in less than seven days but it did. I will be leaving ‘My Life, My Damage’ in the hands of God too. He will do as he pleases, but I need to add that the movie is a very good movie with strong message’ Tonto said.
Speaking further, the actress said the story has nothing to do with her as reported in a soft sell. ‘It has nothing to do with me as someone reported sometimes ago. I have never taken drug nor have HIV; this is just a movie, an entertainment but advocacy in nature. It is not even my movie; it is produced by Uche Jumbo. I only play the lead role’.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts