Tuesday 19 March 2013

I don’t do laundry-Joke Silva



“Excuse me, at this stage of my life, I cook when I like.The laundry? Abeg, even when we were newly married, it was underlined, I don’t do laundry!

That was actress Joke Silva's comment when asked in Saturday Tribune if she still cook for her husband Olu Jacobs or wash his clothes.

In time past, African women, especially wives were treated as a domestic figures, who do all the house chores, while the man sits reading Newspaper, watching TV with his leg on the table, better still chatting with friends. While the woman on the other hand is restricted to the kitchen,(office) cooking and sweating, at the same time paying attention to the baby, to see that the child is comfortable, serves her husband, also clear the dishes they both used in eating, doing laundry for the man, children and herself. These depict an ideal African wife back then. Does that mean that the wives of nowadays are not ideal?

What's your opinion about her statement?


By Yvonne Imohiosen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts